Another great article by Bernard Marr. Bernard Marr is a best-selling business author, keynote speaker and consultant in strategic performance, analytics, KPIs and big data. He is one of the world's most highly respected voices anywhere when it comes to data in business. His leading-edge work with major companies, organisations and governments across the globe makes him a globally acclaimed and award-winning researcher, consultant and teacher.
This article was first published here. Below we only provide the highlights. I would add one item to this list of stupid claims: You need real data. In fact, you don't: many times, simulated data, if properly produced by the right data scientist using Monte-Carlo techniques, will work just as well, maybe even better, to test and prototype big data models. This is especially true if your real data set is not big enough, and you want to build a scalable solution.
Here's Bernard's list:
- Big data is nothing new.
- Big data will change everything.
- The only cost for big data is hardware and software.
- Big data applications require little or no performance optimization.
- You need to hire one data scientist.
- We need to implement machine learning.
- Every problem is a big data problem.
- I don’t have enough data for big data.
- We need real-time data.
- Data analysts are the “new gods of the Information Age.”
- Big data has all the answers.
- Hadoop is the Holy Grail of big data.
- Big data is an IT matter.
- Having so much data makes data flaws insignificant.
- Data warehouses aren’t needed for advanced analytics.
- Big data is only for big companies.
- All of our competitors have already adopted big data.
- Big data can overcome human bias.
- End users want flexibility, not guidance.
- No one has asked for it.
What other claims would you add to the list? Please share them with us in the comments below.
- Career: Training | Books | Cheat Sheet | Apprenticeship | Certification | Salary Surveys | Jobs
- Knowledge: Research | Competitions | Webinars | Our Book | Members Only | Search DSC
- Buzz: Business News | Announcements | Events | RSS Feeds
- Misc: Top Links | Code Snippets | External Resources | Best Blogs | Subscribe | For Bloggers
- 50 Articles about Hadoop and Related Topics
- 10 Modern Statistical Concepts Discovered by Data Scientists
- Top data science keywords on DSC
- 4 easy steps to becoming a data scientist
- 13 New Trends in Big Data and Data Science
- 22 tips for better data science
- Data Science Compared to 16 Analytic Disciplines
- How to detect spurious correlations, and how to find the real ones
- 17 short tutorials all data scientists should read (and practice)
- 10 types of data scientists
- 66 job interview questions for data scientists
- High versus low-level data science