Guest blog post by Dr. Vincent Granville
Sqrrl views Big Data market as 11 large segments (isn't analytics / data science missing?):
- Hardware providers: Big Data software runs on both commodity disks and flash/SSD.
- Services providers: These folks help with both strategy and implementation of Big Data solutions
- Cloud providers: Many organizations run their Big Data solutions in public, private, or hybrid clouds
- Enterprise Data Warehouse (EDW) vendors: These are traditional EDW vendors and the relational databases that typically sit on top of them.
- Data Integration vendors: These companies sell the tools that assist in getting data into Hadoop or Scale-Out databases.
- Hadoop vendors: These folks license commercial distributions of the Hadoop Distributed File System and related Apache projects (or in some cases, just sell support services around them).
- Security vendors: They sell security tools, such as encryption and key management, specifically designed for Big Data.
- Scale-Out Database vendors: Includes both NoSQL and NewSQL databases.
- Horizontal Big Data Platforms: These are platforms often built on top of Hadoop and/or scale-out platforms and provide additional analytical capabilities beyond what the underlying database can natively provide.
- Vertical Big Data Platforms: Similar to Horizontal Big Data Platforms, but specialized for a specific industry vertical.
- Business Intelligence and Visualization Tools: Focused on static reporting and dashboards for data held in Hadoop .
- Big Data Analytics Ecosystem
- Data Science Apprenticeship
- Data Science eBook
- Data Science Links | Share Data Science Links on Twitter
- Our RSS feeds
- Big Data on Google+ | @analyticbridge
- Horizontal vs. Vertical Data Scientists
- What Map Reduce can't do
- Fast clustering algorithms for massive datasets
- Source code for our Big Data keyword correlation API
- The 3Vs that define Big Data
- 53.5 billion clicks dataset available for benchmarking and testing
- 5 Big Data Startups That Matter
- The curse of big data